Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Swimming Lesson

Last week the boys took swimming lessons. This was the first time that either one has been in a regular size pool. Jonathan is 4 1/2 and Joel is 3. To be honest, the first three days were not fun for me. There were always 6-7 children taking lessons at the same time and Jill would take out one at a time and work with each child at their current level. My kids cried every time it was their turn. Then they'd come sit down on the steps and wait for the next turn, which would result in more crying. But we stuck it out. I am 38 and never learned how to swim and I do not want my children to find themselves in the same position.

By Thursday, the boys were more comfortable and began to play in the shallow area while they waited for their turn with the teacher. And there was no more crying. Goggles seem to help too. They weren't so upset about getting water in their faces. Thursday was also the day that Jill told us that she had two openings for this week if we wanted to bring the boys back. She felt like they'd learn so much more this week now that they trusted her and were comfortable in the water. Thursday was also the day that Joel jumped from the diving board. Jonathan jumped from the diving board on Friday.

Yesterday, Jill told Lee that Jonathan should be swimming under water very well by the end of the week. And that Joel was doing well.

This week the boys look forward to swimming lessons and can't wait to show me today what they've learned. I'm glad that I didn't cave and just bring the boys home last week when all they did was cry. It's hard for me to put my boys through things that they don't like even when I know it's for their own good.

Actually, Jonathan just came up to me while typing this post to tell me again, that he can't wait to show me what he learned yesterday and to show me how he can jump off the diving board.

Last Saturday, we went to hang out with Judy at "Uncle Wade's grandmother's pool" and had a blast! The boys did so well in the pool and were comfortable playing in the water. They did a lot of swimming from me to the steps.

Summer is good. And I'm Enjoying My Life!

Disclaimer: When my parents offered swimming lessons to me when I was a teenager, I refused to take them. My mom is quick to remind me of that. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;