While I was working on a baby quilt as a gift, my boys asked me to make them one. So I stole another idea from my friend Melissa and took the boys to Walmart to pick out some fabric. We got 1 yard each of 2 prints of fabrics for each boy. That was two weeks ago. I finally finished them Saturday morning.
I discovered basting adhesive. This made it so much easier to quilt. You just spray it on your batting then attach the fabric. Turn it over and do the second side. This eliminates having to pin it together or use a basting stich on your sewing machine.
This was my first attempt to quilt anything. In the past, I've taken my quilts to a lady in FL who would use what is called a long arm to quilt them. Very professional. I've found out that quilting with my machine is actually fun. For Jonathan's quilt, I followed lines already in the print and did a cross hatch from both directions. Turned out pretty good. For Joel's I followed the race track which made for an interesting design. And the boys were thrilled with them.
It took me about 8 hours total to complete this project. It was definitely worth the time and effort to give my kids something that I made. In the future, I'll plan some cool bed quilts.